Saturday, July 14, 2012

Hair Fashion Obsession: Messy Side Braid



I have the type of hair that is super straight no matter what I do to it. I literally shampoo it in the shower, brush it, and let it air-dry. I don't use any product in it and it just behaves itself. It probably sounds like I'm bragging, but I'm really not. The most exciting thing to happen to my hair recently has been side bangs and red dye. I envy girls with hair that just naturally has more texture and volume to it.

So the look I'm really obsessing over right now? The messy side braid. It's a really easy look to wear, and if your hair starts to fall out of it—well, even better! The whole point is for it to look effortless, sexy, and a little messy. It's a less innocent take on the conventional braid, and is a perfect combination of feminine and grungy. The one thing I would recommend for this look is bobby pins. I don't bother with hair spray, but my hair has shorter layers that makes it hard to keep it all together in one elastic. It's also easier if you braid it when your hair is wet, and let strands fall out naturally as it dries over the day.


Aliet Buttelman in July 2012 Cosmopolitan by Diego Uchitel
Cosmopolitan recommends dry shampoo and loose weaving for this look.



Backstage Lela Rose's Spring 2011 Show
The hair stylist at Lela Rose's Spring 2011 show parted the hair to one side, added volume to the crown of the hair, and created a tighter braid at the tips for a slightly more punk edge.



Blake Lively
The Gossip Girl star takes the messy side braid from casual to glamorous with little details. Recently while filming she sported the look with no hair tie, which makes this look that much easier. At the Green Hornet premiere she added a gorgeous piece of dazzling jewelry to dress up the look while still retaining that youthful fun of the side braid.

What's your favorite way to rock a braid? If anyone out there is reading yet, leave me a comment! I'm also looking for some blogs to follow, so let me know what's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment